PHILADELPHIA -; A 41-year-old man is being held on $5 million bail after police say he castrated a paraplegic during a dispute at an assisted living facility in ...
A woman used a young girl she was with to steal the wallet of a customer in a Kensington nail salon and the act was captured by a surveillance camera, according to Philadelphia police. The incident occurred about 3:45 p.m. Tuesday inside Magic Nalon Salon on the 3000 block of North Front Street. At the time, a 43-year-old woman was receiving a nail treatment. During that treatment, a woman ...
Philadelphia Police Detective Edward Tolliver stands in the doorway of 1313 Bouvier Strreet where Marcellus Jones hid and waited for Tyrek Taylor to come home, September 2008. He shot Tyrek from behind as he got out of his car. Tolliver is the detective who tracked down the identity of Marcellus Jones. 05/03/2013 ( MICHAEL BRYANT / Staff Photographer ...
AS CITY COUNCIL President Darrell Clarke declared yesterday that the city has done its part to solve the school-funding crisis, Gov. Corbett and state and city officials were moving closer to a deal that could send up to $100 million to the struggling district. Sources cautioned, however, that securing a sum that high would be an uphill climb and that no plan had been finalized. Discussions ...
Wawa shared a document with Pennsylvania lawmakers and the Corbett administration, which states that the $2 tax would create a black market for ...
60.6°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the SSW at 1.6 MPH
If youve seen any of the trailers or TV commercials for Ben Youngers Prime, you probably think its about something that its not really about. The advertisements for the film are an interesting case of purposeful misdirection, as they make it appear as though ... ...
WHITEMARSH TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) - Police report the driver of a car carrier apparently failed to see a height clearance sign and crashed into a low clearance railroad bridge on Flourtown Road in Whitemarsh. That road remains closed and local detours are in place. Work has been underway much of the night trying to remove the damaged car carrier and remove the cars it had been carrying. No one ...
CARNEY’S POINT, N.J. (CBS) - Police are investigating an early morning shooting in Carney’s Point, Salem County following a police car stop involving a stolen car. Shots rang out around 1am near South Pennsville-Auburn Road and Hollywood Avenue. Police say two suspects ran from the car after it stopped. Police chased and the two suspects began firing at officers. The officers ...
Heat news at Hot Hot Hoops Allen's three-pointer came with five seconds remaining to send the game into overtime. After a LeBron James miss, Chris Bosh grabbed an offensive rebound and found Allen, who hit the stepback three in the right corner to tie game. The Heat were actually down five only a handful of seconds earlier, ...
Around 1 a.m. police shot a man in the face near South Pennsville Auburn Road and Hollywood Avenue in Carneys Point, Salem County, N.J. -- that’s right across the Delaware River from Wilmington, ...
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - Angelina Jolie put a public face to the fact that a gene mutation can cause breast cancer, but gene mutations can cause other cancers, too. Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer associated with asbestos exposure. Dr. Joseph Testa, The Weg Chair of Human Genetics at Fox Chase Cancer, says it’s also been linked to a mutation known as the Bap1 Cancer Syndrome. ';We ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Expectations were high for this top of the line Hyatt product in "The Big Easy". The taxi rolled up to ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Philadelphia HeraldPhiladelphia Herald | Philadelpia, Pa Online Newspaper
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Philadelphia news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Philadelphia Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Philadelphia.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Philadelphia weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Philadelphia Herald is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
PHILADEPHIA - At least five women and a man have been killed in a Philadelphia building collapse even as a lucky 61-year-old woman was rescued from the rubble after 12 hours.
One of the biggest tragedies of the US city in living memory, the tragedy occurred Wednesday morning and by Thursday morning search-and-rescue workers had covered about 75 per cent of the site, Mayor Michael Nutter told reporters.
Search of the rest of the site was on till reports last came in.
The accident was caused as shoppers thronged the Salvation Army thrift store on a busy Wednesday morning.
The store crumbled under the weight of a next door building that was under demolition as an excavation crew ripped walls down allegedly jerking down a wrong beam with heavy machinery.
Bystanders rushed to help as blocks and bricks came crashing down.
Rescuers pulled out six bodies and packed them in bags.
As a pall of gloom engulfed the neighbourhood, there was a momentary joy when 61-year-old Myra Plekam was found alive under the rubble more than 12 hours after the collapse.
She was the 14th survivor of the accident who were all taken to three area hospitals.
Plekam was awake and talking to rescuers, before she was evacuated to a hospital in critical condition, said Deputy Fire Chief Robert Coyne. ...
- U.S. stocks open higher after subdued inflation data
- KC terrorist supported plan to bomb New York Stock Exchange FBI tells Congress
- Dow Jones industrial average gains more than 120 points
- Dow Busts Sixth Straight Triple-Digit Move Adds 138 Points Ahead of Fed
- Stocks post solid gains Tuesday
- No breakthrough in talks between UK and Ecuador over Assange
- Leaders of G8 call for peace in Syria and pledge humanitarian aid
- Afghans break off talks with US on security deal
- Obama to propose further U.S. Russain nuclear arms cut
- Afghanistan calls off talks with U.S. on security agreement
- Major General Finn appointed to top UN role in Jerusalem
- Obama welcomes Iran's election of moderate president
- Widespread anti-graft protests rock Brazil
- No breakthrough in talks between UK and Ecuador over Assange
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in Libya in August
- Pagano wants Colts to focus on playbook
- Georgia approves Falcons new stadium plans
- McClain Players like Chargers tempo under McCoy
- Gronkowski undergoes back surgery return TBD
- Report Revis pays Barron $50K for No. 24 jersey
- Google spending $7mn to fight child pornography
- Yahoo follows Facebook and Microsoft in publishing US govt sought snoop data
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- Why Mideast Monarchies Survive
- Apples iPhone Password Security Broken In 24 Seconds
- EDITORIAL The microwave tax
- EDITORIAL Hugos gun dream
- Tick Tock Make The Serve Pitch Putt Or Shot
- Child labor jars with Islamic tradition
- Militants torch NATO lifeline
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Philadelphia Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Police Paraplegic castrated at Philly facility
- Video Woman uses child to lift wallet in Kensington nail salon
- Almost Justice With two killings one suspect police seek help
- State eyes $100M boost for Philly school district
- Wawa Enters Cigarette Tax Fray